Reston Calls Dulles Policy Vague; Foresees Harmonious Term for Ike

By William M. Beecher

Top-drawer New York Times political reporter and analyst James Reston yesterday found his usual procedure reversed as he answered questions fired at him by members of the Adams House Discussion Group.

Secretary of State John Foster Dulles is "hepped" on the idea of having something to fill the gap between the Voice of America and the American army, Reston said. Thus he apparently wants to take the initiative not just within our own sphere of influence, but within the Iron Curtain countries as well.

Our allies are generally confused as to whether we are following a policy of containment, liberation or destruction of Communism. Reston opined that the government is not try in to destroy Communism per se, and cannot reconcile a policy of liberation with the "enlightened self-interest" of the United States.

Success Seen for Ike

Reston foresees a virtual honeymoon between Congress and President Eisenhower. "Ike has a great personal touch," he said. "He doesn't believe in an inevitable conflict with anyone--Russia, Senator Taft, or anyone."

Ike is attempting to minimize conflicts in legislation. "I think he will have a good deal of success." He added, "The President will have a much more responsible opposition than in the past."

Second-string government jobs are going begging, Reston stated, as a result of recent censure of prospective officials for having stock in companies dealing with the government. "The dramatization of Wilson's holdings was very unfortunate on the whole."

With the federal government spending one fourth of the entire national income, almost anyone with money holds some "involved" stocks, he pointed out. "And the country needs a hell of a lot of good men," he added.