Career Speakers Say Jobs Open in Newspaper Fields

"Recent college graduates now have a chance to break into the wire services and other fields of journalism. The trend is away from hiring only experienced newspaper men," Watson S. Sims, Bureau Chief of the Associated Press's Chattanooga, Tenn., office stated here last night.

Four journalists, Oliver E. Allen '43, education editor of Life Magazine, Melvin S. Max, managing editor of the Claremont, N.H., Daily Eagle, and Sims, spoke at the first career conference this year, held at Leverett House. Victor O. Jones '28, night editor of the Boston Globe, moderated.

The speakers agreed that advancement could be unlimited once one's reputation and position are established. Allen cautioned, however, that it is still difficult for college graduates to break into the very large news magazines and newspapers immediately upon graduation.

Jones said that starting salary on papers averaged about $55 per week, with steady increases to $125 per week within five years. Sims said wire service pay is comparable to that of newspapers.