Ivy Films, HLU to Petition Watson For Film Controls

In an attempt to end inter-club rivalry, Ivy Films and the Harvard Liberal Union will jointly petition Associate Dean Robert B. Watson today to make all groups showing films responsible to the Dean's office.

The proposed plan requires all such organizations to register their pictures with the Dean before scheduling them and show him proof that they have contracted for the film with its national distributor. In case two groups wish to register the same film, the one which register first during the term will be given the exclusive right to show it.

Both Sign "Treasure"

The original idea for a joint petition was born when Ivy Films and the Liberal Union realized that both organizations had scheduled "Treasure of Sierra Madre" in their spring series.

In the interest of harmony, the two groups have agreed to divide the gross receipts from last Tuesday's showing, sponsored by the Liberal Union--in exchange for a similar arrangement for a future Ivy Films picture with equal drawing appeal. "Treasure of Sierra Madre" grossed $280 and had an audience of 765.

Ivy Films President Walter M. Ulin '54 made it clear last night that he felt this move was heralding an era of closer relations between his organization and the Liberal Union.