Conant in Town; Leaves Again for Committee Probe

President Conant left Cambridge last night after a brief unexplained appearance, possibly concerning the selection of his Harvard successor.

Conant left by limousine (above) at 10 p.m. following a weekend stay.

It was previously assumed that Conant would spend the weekend conferring with State Department officials about his appearance before a closed meeting of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee this morning.

Conant was not expected to return until after approval of his appointment as German High Commissioner.

Conant is being opposed as German commissioner principally by Senator Joseph McCarthy who has charged Conant with laxity concerning "subversive" faculty members, support of a "dismantle Germany plan" and who has challenged his objections to private schools.

It is expected that Conant will defend his comments on private schools by pointing out that he objected partially on the grounds that public tax money goes "In one way or another" to private schools.

He will probably point out that the speech in which he is alleged to have supported the Morgenthan program to make Germany a pastoral land, was made before the plan was publicized.