Increased Tuition Plan Will Include H.A.A. Participation, Sports Tickets

Buck's Plan Demands Temporary Increase For Financial Help

Provost Buck revealed yesterday he had recommended a hike in the present tuition rates and that all students will receive free tickets to all varsity athletic events if the increase is approved by the Corporation.

Buck stated he has decided that the tuition rise and the drastic ticket policy change are absolutely imperative to keep the College in the black.

His recommendations are now before the Corporation.

Athletic participation tickets, together with lockers and towels, will also be included in the proposed raised tuition rates, Buck added.

Scholarships

Buck also explained that his plans would provide for scholarship students. An increase, he said, would "be accompanied by an adequate appropriation of unrestricted money to the Committee on Scholarships and Financial aid to students in Harvard College in order to meet the impact of the tuition increase."

But he also cautioned that this appropriation, taken from the College's general unrestricted income, would merely be "a holding operation. We still need more scholarship money," he continued.

In effect, this would mean the Administration will be taking part of the tuition money of non-scholarship students to defray the added burden of those on aid.

Normal Basis

The move giving varsity event tickets to all undergraduates is an attempt to put athletics on a normal basis, Buck indicated. "We are trying to get away from thinking of gate receipts," he said. "We are starting with the premise: athletics belong to the students."

Buck explained that the athletic facilities ticket should be thought of as normal agencies of the College's educational program. For this reason, Buck feels, their upkeep, just as that of the libraries, should be included in general tuition costs.