Conant Vote Due Today; Criticism Said 'Asinine'

Congressional committee approval of President Conant's appointment as German High commissioner seemed almost assured yesterday after Conant testified for the first time.

Senator Charles W. Tobey (R.N.H.), a member of the Senate Foreign Relations committee studying the choice, said he considered any opposition to the appointments as "asinine."

It was reported that the vote on Conant, expected today, might be unanimous. Senator Langer (R.N.D.) is the only member of the 15-man committee who might turn thumbs down.

Rebuttals Listed

Committee chairman Alexander Wiley (R.-Wis.) described Conant's rebuttals to charges against him as follows:

1.His Atlantic Monthly article concerning radicals radical had been betrayed by Communism and should look to the American tradition instead.

2.His opinions concerning public and private schools have no anti-religious shadings. He objects, rather, to public tax money going to private schools.

3.His views on subversives were based on the opinion that it would be "so difficult to find disguised Communists in universities that it would take the instigation of a police state at the university to do so."

4.His opinion on revision of postwar German industry was formulated independent of the Morgenthau plan, which would have made Germany a pastoral land. He did not agree with the "spirit of vindictiveness" of the Morgenthau measure.