Favored Swim Team Faces Brown; Basketball Squad travels to Tufts

Next in the line of sacrificial lambs delivered to the Crimson swimmers will be the Brown squad. The Bruins will offer themselves up to Coach Hal Ulen's squad this afternoon at Providence.

Bill Brooks Yardlings will encounter the Brown freshmen in the preliminaries, also to be held at Providence.

The varsity test should not prove too harrowing. Three swimmers make up the core of the Brown squad, and two of them race in free-style events a category in which the Crimson is particularly loaded.

Senior Don Cameron, who swims the 120 free-style and occasionally the 100-yard sprints, junior Ralph Brisco, who races in the 50 and 100-yard sprints, and junior Ron Wills, who swims the 200-yard breast-stroke and the individual medley make up the triumvirate of Bruin swimmers who could give the Crimson trouble.

Last year, when the Crimson defeated Joe Watmough's squad by a resounding 61 to 23 tally, Cameron was the only Bruin to win a first place. He had to break a Brown record in the 220 free-style to do it. Brisco was submerged twice by Dave Hedberg--who will be swimming against him today, incidentally--and Wills lost the medley as Marv Sandler broke a Harvard College record to gain first place. Sandler will also be swimming today.

The varsity basketball, straight from a three week layoff and a distant over-time victory of B.C., meets Tufts tonight in the Jumbos gym, in what should be a close, hard-fought game.

Coach Norm Shepard plans to start his five best scorers tonight and just hope that they can hold the Tufts quintet on defense. Captain Dick Lionette will play center with Harry Sacks and Bill Dennis at the forwards and Paul Shaw and Ed Krinsky at the guards. This is the team which has started most of the Crimson's games so far.

Tufts 1952 Victors

Tufts this year has almost the same team which trimmed the Crimson last season, 79 to 76, in an exciting game in the I.A.B. The fast-breaking Jumbos take a lot more shots than the average team and have a well-balanced scoring threat, according to Crimson Coach Norm Shepard. They are led by 6'4" center Bob Sussenberger and 6'3" forward John Heneghan, who scored the winning basket in last year's victory over the Crimson.

In the game last year, both Dennis and the Crimson hit their season's scoring highs, with the former netting 29 points. Tufts had to come from behind late in the last quarter to win and break a 10-games losing steak it had piled up.

In the preliminary 6:30 p.m. game, the undefeated Yardling quintet will try for its sixth straight victory and second over the Tufts freshmen. Captain Warren Kantrowitz and Bob Bowman will play at forward with Bruce Downey at center and Howie Adler and John Van Doreu starting at the guard slots as usual.