Howe Scores As Trackmen Defeat Brown

Al Howe did a sizzling 1:15.7 in the 600, Bob Mello took two firsts and a second, and Hal Gerry waited half a minute at the finish line to let a teammate pass him, as the varsity track team smashed a sub par Brown, 85 to 24, yesterday afternoon in Briggs Cage.

The Yardlings also won their meet, though with fewer incidents and more ease, 91 to 18, over the Bruin freshmen.

Howe, who has run well in the 440 this season but has not hit his par in the 600, held back until the gun lap and then ran away with the race. Paul Grand was third.

Lots Nahigian Win

Gerry, a consistent winner in the two mile this year was a full lap ahead of Frank Nahigian when he stopped short of the finish line. His time would have been 10:10; Nahigian, the new winner did 10:40 and Bob Swett moved up from third to second to complete the sweep and help get his letter.

Mello cleared 13 feet in the pole vault, took the broad jump handily, and then tied with three others for second in the high jump behind Tom Dilulio, one of Brown's two winners, who did six feet.

Jack Richards edged Renny Little and Bill Reid in a exciting 1,000, Charlie Arena shaded teammate Herbie Collins in the dash and freshman Norm Bruck bettered everyone's time in the sprints.

Reid of Brown came back to win the mile over Hubie Maguire, but in the freshman race Captain Al Wills ran it a half second faster.

Brown's ace miler, Walt Molineux, did not appear.