Annex Girls May Join Basketball Rally Squad

A plan for coed cheerleaders at varsity and freshman basketball games will be considered by the student council tonight, sponsor John W. Hurst '56, president of the Freshman Athletic Council, said yesterday.

Despite past failure of similar plans, Hurst has received at least tentative support from the administration and students for his precedent-shattering idea. "This plan will be approved by the University if it is what the students want," said Dean Watson.

Tom Bolles, H.A.A. chief, expressed similar views, and Larry Cohen, head cheerleader, said: "If the student body is behind it, I'll carry it through."

Basketball Team Supports

"It the plan is approved by the student council, we definitely plan to have girl cheerleaders for Saturday's game," Hurst explained.

Under the present plan, two girls would join two boys on both varsity and freshman rally squads.

The basketball team is "solidly behind" the plan, Harry Sacks said. Bill Dennis and Ed Krinsky will represent the team at the meeting, and Guy Barron, vice-president of the freshman Union committee, will also attend.

Radcliffe's girls' athletic council has backed the plan fully. Mary Lou Desmond, a member of the council, said she was very much in favor of the move.

Selection of the girls will probably be made by the present cheerleaders, Hurst said. The planned dress consists of white sweaters and maroon skirts.