Wrestlers, Five Lose; Swimmers Salvage Victory

Take-Off Time in the I.A.B.

Pre-game analysis ranked the Navy swimmers as the Crimson's toughest opponents to date, but the local squad defeated the Middies with ease, 57 to 27, Saturday at the Indoor Athletic Building. It was the fourth consecutive victory for Coach Hal Ulen's undefeated swimmers.

Navy gained three first places--including the 400-yard freestyle relay--and a rash of seconds. Middie Gerry Nay scored a surprise victory in the 200-yard breast-stroke, shearing almost one second off a Naval Academy record. His time was 2:27.4. Ralph Zani and Ken Emerson placed second and third.

The sailors' other victory came in the 150-yard individual medley, with Paul Slack defeating Charlie Egan and Nay.

The Crimson picked up 26 points--over half its total--by winning first place in every freestyle event. Dave Hedberg gained a double victory, in the 220 and 100 sprints. In the 220, Hedberg edged Navy ace Jan Vandersluis and Crimson team-mate Marv Sandler, while in the 100, he topped Navy's Bill Burr and the Crimson's Al Rapperport in 52.1 seconds.

John McNamara beat Navy Captain Gil Rindahl and Crimson Captain Ronnie Huebsch to take the 50-yard sprints, while Charlie Egan did the 440-freestyle in 5:05.2, defeating Dick Fouquet and Vandersluis.

Back-stroker Don Mulvey remained undefeated and missed breaking a Crimson record by one-tenth of a second. He won in 2:15.6.

In the dive, Pete Dillingham outscored Navy star Owen Davies 105.68 to 97.2. Mulvey, Emerson, and Huebsch combined to take the 300-yard medley relay with a time of 2:59.2.