Penn Five Cinches Title Here, 77-49

By Hiller B. Zobel

Ernie Bock and his non-musical Pennsylvanians blasted through town last night on route to the NCAA tournament in Chicago. They paused long enough, however, to wallop the varsity basketball team, 77 to 49, and clinch the Eastern League title as well.

Actually, the awesome Quakers needed the victory and the championship to assure their spot in the tourney. And, in fact, a badly-outclassed. Crimson team tried its best to deny them these honors, fighting to maintain a brief lead over the first five minutes.

After that, however, Back and his talented confederates did just as they pleased. The score was 20 to 10 at the quarter, 41 to 25 at the half.

Playing with a taped right thing, Back did not score until the 7:00 mark. His injury and a rough, alert Crimson defense prevented Beck from staging a scoring display similar to last year's 45-point spree.

He did, however, manage to sink ten out of 31 floor shots and seven out of seven free throws, for an eminently respectable 27 points.

The Crimson tried spiritedly in its last home game of the year, but Penn was just too good. Harry Sancks, who took a fierce pounding under the boards, led the Crimson with 16 points, many on deft hook shots. Bill Dennis counted 13 (including seven free throws). No one else topped seven.

Although Beck showed little of his rebounding skill, his remarkable, rapid passing set up more than enough points to offset the lack. While a crowd of his townsmen from nearby Fairhaven cheered him on, Penn's Bar Leach scored 13 points.

A contingent from local Pennsylvania alumni clubs added to the Quaker vocal support. Indeed, the visitors' rooters made more noise than the home fans. But them obviously, they had more to yell about.

In an all-Harvard preliminary game, Dan Steiner of Eliot scored ten points to lead the Wintergreens to a 45 to 33 victory over their all-House rivals, the Rineharts.