Panel Reports on Opportunities in Government Jobs

Students who plan to enter the Civil Service or other government departments should get practical experience before going to graduate school, Daniel S. Cheever '39, assistant professor of Government, indicated last night at the Career Conference on Government.

James F. Green, of the United Nations and the State Department, spoke on both the State Department and the Foreign Service. He emphasized the six basic personal qualifications which he feels are needed for both services.

These are: unquestioned loyalty to the country, good reputation in regard to personal life and associations, above-average intelligence and judgment, broad educational background, ability to speak and write effectively, and sense of team-work.

Alfred C. Wolf '34, of the Department of the Interior, spoke on "Public Administration." He said public administration can be called "law in action, policy in practice." He added that it involves the interplay of all the social sciences.

"Civil Service as an Integral Part of the Government" was the topic on which Henry N. Willard, of the Civil Service Commission, spoke. He stressed the opportunities for promotion in Civil Service, and he said that the service is proud of its retirement, vacation, and sick leave plans. The Civil Service is known for its good management methods, he added.

More than 100 people filled the Adams House dining hall to attend this seventh Career Conference.