Air Force Rules ROTC Free from 3-Year Duty

ROTC Reserves Serve Two Years; Others Now Take Three

By Erik Amfitheatrof

Air force ROTC reserve commissions took on a silver lining last night when the Pentagon verified reports that all non-ROTC reserve commissions will require three years of active duty.

The new regulation will apply to all reserves specialist commissions tendered after May 1, the date on which the new rule is expected to be put into effect.

ROTC Cadets, with the exception of those in the flying program, can still look forward to a two-year maximum tour of duty. Cadets who graduate from flying school will have to serve a minimum of four years under present regulations.

Both "flight" and "desk" graduates of the ROTC students finishing their college of graduate work this year can apply for a direct commission, but under the new regulation will have to serve a minimum of three years, instead of the present two-year term.

Lt. Colonel Ashley Denton, Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel, Directorate of Training, HQUSAF, last night stated that the addition of another year of service to non-ROTC commissions was due largely to the continuation of two-year maximum for "desk" ROTC graduates.

No Change Expected

Denton doubted that the two-year maximum would be changed in the near future. "I've seen a paper going around the Pentagon now on ROTC commissions, and it still lists the two year requirement," he said.

The Army ROTC commission likewise calls for two years of active duty. Naval officers who graduate from the NROTC program, however, face three years of service.