Applications Set Post-War Record

20 Percent Increase In Number of Men Seeking Admission

By Steven C. Swett

More students are applying for admission to the Class of 1957 than to any class since the end of World War II.

Dean David Henry of the Admissions Office yesterday reported a 20 percent increase over last year in the number of applications received by his office. He expects 100 to 150 more applications before final totals are reached.

Although Henry refused to reveal the exact number of last year's applications, if is estimated that at least 3,200 came to his office.

He credited an intense nation-wide alumni campaign and stepped-up work by the admissions office for much of the jump.

Other College Rise

Admissions officials from other Ivy League colleges indicated a similar jump. At Princeton, 250 more applications were received than last year's 4,000, and they are still coming in.

Yale admission directors said a similar rise was in evidence there, then declined to give the exact figures, as they expected more applications within the month.

The Educational Testing service, which runs the college board examinations, revealed that the largest group of students in its history had taken last Saturday's test for college admission. Officials there felt this indicated a definite upward trend in college interest across the country.

Due to the Corporation's decision last fall to limit the freshman class to 1,150, Harvard will not admit more men this fall, despite the increased interest.

Other Ivy League officials said that many schools now require their student to apply to more than two colleges and that this might explain much of the increase in applications.