Annex Raises Aids, Expects Lower Costs

By Cynthia M. Reich

Radcliffe will increase its scholarship grants by 23 percent next year and "hopes to reduce room and board charges provided that there is no rise in food costs," Annex President Wilbur K. Jordan announced yesterday.

Jordan listed four reasons for the increased awards which he hopes will alleviate pressure caused by the $200 tuition hike. The Annex has decided to increase the rate of distribution on invested funds from 4.75 to 5 percent. A gift of $4000 as income has been received for undergraduates for next year.

Other Reasons Included

A total of $5,000 from the reserve of unexpended balances will be used in 1953-54, and Radcliffe has a greater income because of new scholarship grants.

Jordan warned, however, that the aid boost is "not as good as it seems." The increased scholarship funds still to not match the percentage of tuition increase. 'Cliffe scholarship awards, which average $289 per grant, are lower than at many other colleges.

Radcliffe is assuming heavy risks, Jordan continued, in spending more than the scholarship income, and needs increased endowments to equal the reserves it will spend next year.

Loan Funds Boosted

Annex loan funds, which as of July, 1952, totalled $62,500, have never been fully used and $30,000 more has come in for loans during 1953-54. The College will therefore ask all Senior scholarship applicants to take a certain portion of their aid in loans.

Grants given seniors cannot exceed $800 except in unusual situations, since the Annex prefers to give younger classes priority, Jordan added.

Parents of present Radcliffe students have contributed almost 10,000 in grants and funds this year in response to requests from the College. The money will provide a new $500 undergraduate scholarship.