Essays For Bowdoin Prizes In Greek, Latin Due April 1

Entries for the 1952-53 Bowdoin prizes for essays in English and for essays and translations in Greek and Latin must be handed in by Wednesday, April 1.

The first prize in English for undergraduates is $500, the second prize is $300, and third prize is $100. The essays, which may be on any subject, must be under ten thousand words.

Honors theses or parts of honors theses and papers written for courses may be submitted. Essays presented for other prizes or for academic recognition else-where are not admissible.

Graduate Awards Included

Three prizes of $300 each will be offered for essays in English by graduate students. The topics may be drawn from three groups, the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences.

Competitors may select the subjects of their essays, and may submit as many as they wish, but they may not receive more than one prize in a group. Graduate essays must be under twelve thousand words; parts of doctoral dissertations are eligible.

A prize of $100 is offered to undergraduates for a translation into Attic Greek of a passage in Harry Austryn Wolfson's "Philo."

Deadline April 1

A prize of $100 is also offered to undergraduates for a translation into Latin of a passage in Mason Hammond's "City-State and World State."

A $200 prize is offered to graduate students for an original essay of at least 3,000 words in either Latin or Greek. It may be on any subject chosen by the competitor.

Essays and translations must be submitted to the Secretary of the Committee on Bowdoin Prizes, 24 University Hall, by Wednesday, April 1.

Winners of the prizes will receive, in addition to the financial awards, bronze medals. Their names will be printed on the Commencement program.

The Bowdoin prizes were founded by Governor James Bowdoin in 1745.