Penn Tops Five, 76-59, As Beck Sparks Play

Ernie Beck was named to the Associated Press All-American basketball team yesterday. Ernie Beck also played All-American basketball to lead Penn in a 76 to 59 triumph over the varsity at Philadelphia Saturday.

He scored 30 points, kept the Quakers in the lead during the first half despite determined Crimson play, and led a steady point-making parade to the foul line.

The Crimson, however, stayed close until a big Penn fourth quarter. Bill Dennis scored 24 points to lead the way for the Cantabs.

He dumped in 10 points in the first half to help keep the varsity within one point, 17 to 16, at the end of the first period. Beck could score only one field goal in the first stanza, but contributed 13 in the second to keep Penn in the lead, 32 to 31, at halftime.

Foul Shots Decide

The lead switched possession six times and the score was tied seven times before the half.

Penn, however, dominated after intermission. The Quakers extended their lead, 48 to 43, by the end of the third quarter, and then broke loose with 28 points in he final frame to sew up the game.

Still, foul shots made the difference. Both teams scored 21 field goals, but Penn's 34 successful foul shots doubled the Crimson total. Beck scored 12 of the 34 foul throws.

Following Dennis in the Crimson scoring column was Harry Sacks with 13 and and Krinsky with ten points.