Law School Applications Score New Record High

Korea Veterans Swell Ranks of Hopefuls For Fall Admission

By William W. Bartley iii

All records were broken this week as Law School applications for next fall soared higher than ever before in University history.

Competition and admission standards increased proportionately for the fixed, 525 member, entering class.

Louis A. Toepfer, Law School director of Admissions, announced that his office has received 1100 applications so far. This is 20% ahead of last year, which was 10% ahead of the previous year. "If we continue at this rate, we will have close to 2000 applications by the May 1 deadline," Toepfer estimated.

He attributed much of the increase to a flood of applications from Korean veterans. Seventy-five have already been admitted for next September.

In spite of the increase, however, there will be no enlargement of the size of the class. "Our optimum Law School size is 1400," Toepfer stated. "In order to achieve this we can admit no more than 525 next fall."

"This means," he explained, "that competition will be much keener this year than ever before." He said that some students whose records would have admitted them last year will be rejected this year because of the increased competition. "This should mean an increase of the standards generally in the type of men here," Toepfer concluded.