Niagara

At the Paramount and Fenway

By Arthur J. Langguth

There's a rumor going around that in Niagara the Falls are more impressive than Marilyn Monroe. As far as drama goes, this may be true. In any other department, Miss Monroe easily out-strips her competition. Unfortunately, Niagara tries to connect various shots of Miss Monroe's calculated walk with a draggy story about a woman plotting to murder her husband. The film, then, can only be fantasy, for Miss Monroe is obviously incapable of plotting anything.

Niagara is, of course, a cheap picture. There is a cheap song, "Kiss," for Marilyn to breathe convulsively. And even talented Joseph Cotten gives a cheap performance as Marilyn's shabby husband. But Niagara does have its highlights; and everyone will have his own favorite scene: red dress, shower curtain, blue dress, negligee.

The presence of wholesome Jean Peters amid Monroe's calisthenics is an unnecessary intrusion. Miss Peters can act a little, too, so there is no possible excuse for her being in the film.

Niagara is the sixth picture advertised as "boosting Marilyn Monroe to stardom." A little more practice in ambling and one more boost ought to do it for her.