Student Council Rebuffs New Group Asking Anti-Jenner Demonstrations

Calls for Considered, Rational Reaction to Communist Probes

By William M. Beecher

The Student Council last night condemned rash student action against congressional investigations of universities and pointedly refused to send a voting representative to a Greater Boston colleges committee set up primarily to agitate against the Jenner Committee.

Deciding to send an "uninstructed observer" to the joint committee's future meetings for informational purposes, in a fiery four and a half hour session, the Council further refused to endorse a Law School Civil Liberties Union petition.

The new group, named the "Combined University Students' Committee on Academic Freedom," which met in a room adjacent to the Council chamber in PBH, repeatedly sought Council representation on both the general group and on a specific planning committee.

"I Go Loco"

When the Council was informed of the group's unqualified stand against congressional investigations of Communism in colleges, and plans for two mass meetings replete with "I Go Loco" and "I am not now nor never have been a member of Congress" buttons and banners, it refused to be officially connected with the Committee.

After considerable debate it overwhelmingly approved the following statement:

"The Harvard Student Council feels that any student reaction to the present investigations should be considered and rational. Consequently, it disapproves of the premature use of such techniques as picketing and mass meetings."

Refuses Endorsement

Earlier, the Council flatly refused to endorse a Law School C.L.U. petition which stressed students' general vigilance against indoctrination. The petition read in part:

"We therefore believe there is no need for any committee of Congress to investigate this University. We believe that benefits arising from such an investigation would be far outweighed by the harmful effects on the University."

In refusing to support this statement, the Council felt that it would markedly detract from its earlier, widely-circulated policy dictum. In addition, it did not want to appear in favor of a blanket denial of the right of Congressional investigations of schools.

Jenner's Senate Internal Security subcommittee plans to open hearings in Boston this Thursday. To date they have reportedly subpoenaed 17 Massachusetts professors.

There have also been indications that the Committee is presently considering calling students to testify.