Students Reject All-College Queen, Back Straw Hats in Key Weekend

Results of the Crimson Key Poll taken last week reveal that a majority of the students who voted are opposed to having an All-College Queen for the Crimson Key Weekend, May 1-3.

Students overwhelmingly gave their support, however, to retaining the "straw hat" which made its debut during last year's Weekend. In addition, the vote was 238-106 in favor of individual purchases of corsages, as opposed to the en masse distribution of flowers at the dance, May 2.

A preference for a low-priced ticket over the big name band will set the ticket price at $4.50, a sharp decrease from last year's $6.00 figure. The ticket will include athletic events Saturday afternoon and a formal dance, "The Straw Hat Ball," in the evening.

Despite the reduction in ticket price, Chuck Gordon '54, Co-Chairman of the Crimson Key Weekend, said the dance would have "good continuous music" from Jack Edwards' 15-piece orchestra. The band features Jay White on the alto-saxophone.

Bandleader Edwards and his 15-man crew were selected because of their warm reception at last year's freshman Jubilee. Since then they have performed at the Commodore, the New Yorker, and other Eastern hotels.