On the House

Kirkland beat Dunster, 40 to 31, last night to cop the House A-League Basketball Championship. Humphrey was high scorer for the Deacons, knocking in 11 points, while teammates Green and Woodman came through with ten each.

The finale, held in the Blockhouse, stopped a last minute surge by the Funsters for the Championship when they thumped the Elephants, 35 to 31, last week. At that time the Deacons were untied for the top berth.

Kirkland grabbed the lead at the start with three straight baskets totaling six points, though the Funsters caught up at the half to end the second period, 13 to 12, in favor of the Deacons.

In the third period, the Dunstermen missed several foul shots but still kept the close margin of one point as the period ended, 28 to 27. However, in the last period, the Deacons broke away to add 12 points to their score, while the fatigued Funsters only managed to nail four.

Top basket shooter for the Dunstermen was Oakley, who knocked in six during the tense game that pushed the Deacons as the Funsters continually strived to get a margin on the Kirkland score.

The House hockey tournament may wind up today if Eliot takes their game, and Leverett loses. However, if Eliot loses and Leverett wins, then they will square off for the championship.