Green Five Gets Revenge For First Defeat, 74-66

Dartmouth's basketball team last night avenged an earlier defeat by the Crimson at Hanover, as it defeated the varsity 74 to 66 in a hard fought game at the Alumni Gym.

The defeat--coming right before the Crimson's remaining games with Penn and Yale--entrenched Norm Shopard's team deeper in the Ivy league cellar behind next to last Princeton.

Sophomore Harry Sacks continued his attack on the Harvard foul shooting record as he notched 18 points, 16 of them coming from the free throw line. Teammate Billy Dennis played another fine game, scoring 17 points on seven field goals. Both Dennis and Sacks played well under the backboard, although Dick Farley, sophomore Green center, was the key there.

Dick Lionette scored 11 points for the Crimson, but Freddy Gieg, six foot four inch Dartmouth captain, was high scorer for the game, with 20 points. Gieg, who has sparked the Green to surprising upset wins over Yale and Holy Cross, had one of his poorest nights against the Crimson in the Blockhouse.

It was a sloppy game throughout, featured by poor ball handling, and excessive fouling. The loss put the varsity's Ivy League record at two wins and seven defeats. The team meets Yale here Saturday, then plays Penn--which topped Columbia last night for the league lead--in the Blockhouse Monday night.

The Penn game will mark the last appearance here of one of the Ivy Group's best and most colorful players, forward Ernie Bock, a good rebounder and last year's top Ivy scorer.