Penn Football Players Say '53 Schedule Is Too Tough

University of Pennsylvania football players, in a joint letter to authorities of their university, yesterday termed their 1953 football schedule too tough for an Ivy League school with no spring training.

Copies of the letter were sent to William Du Barry, acting Penn president, Fran Murray, Penn athletic director, and George Munger, head football coach.

Munger and Murray reportedly have been at odds over the university's scheduling policy, with Munger protesting that his policy, with Munger protesting that his players were unable to meet college elevens benefitting from spring training programs.

The Penn schedule for next fall includes only one Ivy opponent, Cornell. Other teams listed are Vanderbilt, Penn State, California, Ohio State, Navy, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Army, all of which sanction spring practice.

Two Platoon Ban Also Hurt

The Traditionally strong Pennsylvania team was weakened by the recent NCAA ruling killing the two-platoon system, and was further hurt by the decision on February 19 of Ivy League presidents not to resume spring training. Many argued that this was a necessity in view of the NCAA directive.

When the group was formed last year, all Ivy colleges agreed to play each other in football at least once every five years.