Crimson Six Overtakes Yale to Win Again 4-2

By James M. Storey

They played without both their first-string defensemen; they took the ice with the knowledge that they couldn't win the Pentagonal League title; they spotted Yale two first period goals--but the varsity hockey players roared back to score twice in each of the last two periods and wallop the Elis, 4 to 2, before a sellout crowd of howling Yalies Saturday night at the New Haven Arena.

In far and away the best game it has played all season, the Crimson overcame almost hopeless odds to break the jinx which had held it winless in New Haven for four years. The day before the game Ed Mrkonich was cut over he eye in practice, and Joff Coolidge went to the infirmary with a high temperature Saturday morning. Despite the loss of these two key players, Harvard found itself after a chaotic first period to completely outscrap the Elis over the final 40 minutes, and win its second consecutive Yale victory.

Even after Princeton had squeaked by Dartmouth, 5 to 4, to clinch the Pentagonal League title Saturday afternoon, thereby killing the Crimson's chance for the NCAA bid, Harvard's fighting spirit and better hockey carried it to a decisive win. Amory Hubbard, with two goals, ran his total to seven in the last three games; Walter Greeley contributed the winning goal and an assist; reserve Jim O'Brien excelled on defense, besides scoring one goal; and Brad Richardson played his usual brilliant game in the nets.

But it wasn't just the play of the four seniors on the squad that overcame the handicaps of an unfamiliar rink and a rough Yale crowd. after Bob Klopponburg and Eli captain Larry Noble had seemingly gotton the Blue off to an easy rout of the hapless crimson with their first period goals, Weiland's whole team

Boston University and Resealaer Polytechnic Institute were chosen yesterday as Eastern representative to the NCAA hockey tournament in Colorado. caught fire. All three lines spent most of the last two periods in the Yale zone, and the defense turned back almost every Eli rush. The Blue rooters became unusually silent--it was obvious even to them that the Crimson's inspired sextet was rubbing the Bulldog's nose into the ice.

The Yardlings also came from behind to nip the Yale freshmen, 6 to 5, for their 15th victory in 16 starts. Captain Bill Cleary scored the winning goal--his 72nd point of the season