Eli Team Trips Crimson Five, 70-68

By David L. Halberstam

For 15 long noisy seconds Saturday night in the Block-house, Yale's Jim Places stood a little past the foul circle with a basketball. Then, with two seconds left, teammate Spence Schnaitter ran over and tapped him. Places awakened, shot the ball, the buzzer went off, the ball went through the hoop. The Elis went wild, and everyone else just stood there.

And Yale boat the varsity basketball team 70 to 68 in an overtime game that never should have reached an extra period. The Crimson freshmen switched roles, and downed the Eli yearlings 70 to 67 in the overtime opener.

Ernie Beck with his league leading Pennsylvania team-mates comes to the Indoor Athletic Building for the last time, in the Crimson's final home game tonight. Game time is 8 p.m.

The varsity score was 68 to 68 with a minute left when Yale went into a slow, deliberate freeze. Then the ball went to Plecas. A substitute guard who had tied the game up already and given the Elis their only load, Places just stood there with the ball, with a dumb expression, on his face. Finally, with loss than three seconds left, and when Plecas still had both the ball and the dumb expression, Schnaitter awakened him, and Plecas a cored.

It was quite an evening.

The Crimson, on Billy Dennis' three quick field goals, took an early 6 to 0 lead, and stayed ahead until the last three minutes, when Placas followed in a shot for a 58 to 56 Yale lead--its first and only until the last basket.

After Placas--who score 13 points--had sent Yale ahead in the last period, Sacks scored on a rebound, added a free throw--his 11th--and when Dennis made two free throws and Condon another the Crimson took a big 62 to 58 lead. Then Sacks committed his fifth personal foul, an placas made a pair of free throws, and Yale's Jay Dishnow scored on a long one hander to throw the game into overtime.

Sacks scored 21 for the Crimson, while Dennis had 17.