Matthew Toohy Named Permanent Police Chief

Acting University Police Chief Lt. Matthew J. Toohy will become permanent chief, University officials announced yesterday.

Toohy, a member of the University police force since 1935, has also been promoted to the rank of Captain, and will doff his uniform in favor of civilian clothes.

Toohy now heads a force of 34 uniformed men. "The force has more than doubled since I've been here," he says, "and the responsibilities have become greater. But I intend to do a good job. I have every expectation that we will do so, because I have a grand bunch of men to work with, and wonderful cooperation from the University and the Cambridge police force.

"And the students are wonderful too. I know that they will work with us if we treat them in the right way," he concluded.

The new police chief, who is 50 years old, worked at the College during the '30's is a watchman-policeman position, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant in 1951.

Toohy's promotion follows the dismissal last March 20 of former police chief Alvin G. Randall. Chief of the force since 1945, Randall was dismissed for what was officially termed "administrative reasons."

According to officials in the University, Randall was removed from his job after inadequate performance during the fall and the beginning of the spring terms.

Toohy had been serving as acting chief since Randall's dismissal. His appointment yesterday as permanent chief confirmed expectations that he would be made official head of the force within the month.