UN Delegates Menon, Azkoul To Address Mock Assembly Of 25 New England Colleges

U.N. Council members will play host to more than 125 delegates from 25 New England colleges as registration for the Council's annual mock United Nations sessions opens tonight in Phillips Brooks House.

Principal speakers during the weekend sessions will be V. K. Krishna Menon, head of the Indian delegation at the U.N. General Assembly, and Dr. Karim Azkoul, chairman of the Lebanese delegation. Menon is scheduled to talk on "U.N. Outlook--1953" at 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Sunday afternoon Azkoul will discuss "The Tendency Toward Neutrality of the Asian-Arab Bloc."

At the opening meeting of the "general assembly" Saturday morning in PBH, three speakers including the national chairman of the Collegiate Council for the U.N., will introduce delegates to their weekend agenda. Following the keynote addresses, delegates will split in four committees to debate the pros and cons of French colonialism, unification of Germany, the integrity of the U.N. Secretariat as an international civil service, and North Korean truce proposals.

The delegates will reassemble after committee meetings for a plenary session in Sever Hall Sunday afternoon to discuss the internationalization of Formosa.

U.N. Council President Samuel A. Olevson '54 predicts that the weekend will be as great a success among college representatives as the March 21 model U.N. sessions were for Boston high school students. He noted that eight girl's colleges, including Wellesley, Mount Holyoke, Smith, Leslie, Simmons, and Wheaton will have representatives at the conference.