Student Council Studies House Allocation Shift

Senior Tutors Acting Independently Upon Possible Revisions

A Student Council committee is currently studying the House assignment system with view to possible drastic revision. Favored at present is a scheme of formal assignment with all Houses on an equal footing.

Robert A. Monks '54, committee chairman, stresses the fact that his study is still in the embryonic stage and that his group is trying to proceed with an open mind.

Meanwhile the CRIMSON has learned that the Senior Tutors are concerned with this problem and have met to consider changes.

"Popularity Contest"

"I do feel that a definite problem exists," Monks said last night. Asserting that the present system has degenerated into a "popularity contest" and an administrative headache, he said that a plan of formal assignment would correct some of the inequities and accompanying hard feelings.

Monks plans to poll freshmen immediately after House assignments have been made this May to obtain fresh criticism and opinion. Another poll is planned for the incoming Class of '57 next fall to see if they would object to being assigned to upperclass Houses--not singly, but with chosen roommates--and if their prejudices and preferences are innate or developed once here.

Admitting there is no simple solution, Monks is determined that changes are necessary and hopes that his fall report will constructively evaluate the system.

Deadline for freshmen to file House applications was last Thursday.