Free Pass Poses Problem for HAA

Sporting Scene

By David W. Cudhea

The H.A.A. ticket office, long beset by the problem of how to make people pay to gain admittance to games, now finds itself beset by the opposite problem--how to get people into games free.

According to announcements when the tuition rise was explained, undergraduates will be admitted free to all home varsity contests, as a dividend on their enforced purchase of a participation ticket. How to arrange their entry is keeping the brains of the H.A.A. buzzing.

Speculation has it that the coupon book system in effect for some years may be abolished. Such an abolition has its advantages--less printing expense, less complication for the ticket office--provided that the office manages to provide seats for both students and dates on an equitable basis.

In place of the coupons, it is rumored, the H.A.A. was considering enlarging the bursar's card, and upon it imprinting sections to be punched out. Bursar's cards are sacrosanct and unchangeable, however, and that plan seems to have been dumped by University Hall.

Announcement of the H.A.A.'s final plan is due this week, and at last report, the H.A.A. had a completely new venture on its minds--a special gate into the stadium for each class, and probably, special sections, also. Whether or not this will be approved remains to be seen.

We are certain that almost any plan the organization thinks out will be fairly successful, and will probably 'up home game attendance a good deal. Let us hope, however, that metal badges bearing class numerals, beanies similarly inscribed, Harvard sweater jackets, identification bracelets, or Crimson sashes are avoided.

Finally, let us pray that the practice of certain local prep schools is equally abhorrent to the powers-of-change. Before each game, clucking masters herd the schoolboys--all of them--into a long line without the gates. They march to their seats, through the turnstiles, singing a lusty (sic) chorus of the old school song.