Andy Ward Will Pitch as Baseball Team Plays BU Here at 3:45 p.m.

Wet Grounds May Force Game Cancellation; Centerfielder Bob Smith Out of Action

By David L. Halberstam

Both Harvard and Boston University will be underdogs when they try to play a scheduled baseball game at 3:45 p.m. today at Soldiers Field. If not to each other, both teams are rated under the weather.

Neither team went south earlier, and both have had to sweat out the late New England weather indoors. And providing rain, sleet and snow don't interfere again, both will have to take their chance against injuries on what promises to be a rather sloppy diamond.

Coach Stuffy McInnis' team was snowed out of its last game, against Brandeis here on Tuesday.

The Crimson has already suffered physically from the bad weather. Veteran centerfielder Bob Smith hurt his leg against Amherst in the opener last Saturday, will not play today, and will probably also miss the Springfield game Saturday. Ed Krinsky also hurt a leg, but McInnis expects to start him at shortstop. McInnis attributes both injuries to the bad weather and the resulting bad ground.

Either junior Dick Scheer or sophomore Bill Chauncey will start in centerfield in Smith's place. Scheer, a righthander, replaced Smith against the Lord Jeffs, but Chauncey also saw action. Chauncey, the son of a former Harvard baseball captain, hit well for the freshmen last year, and bats left-handed.

Batting Order Uncertain

Because of his centerfield doubts, McInnis is still uncertain about a batting order, Smith's injury leaving him temporarily without his lead-off batter.

The rest of the lineup will be the same except for the pitcher, where sophomore Andy Ward, slated to open against the Judges, will get his first try. Ward, no relation to varsity pitcher Bob Ward, is a righty, and was the number one pitcher for the freshmen last year. He pitched low-hit games against Exeter and Boston Teachers College last season, and has good control.

Dick Clasby will do the catching, and probably bat clean-up again. Clasby, who alternates between catching and centerfield, also hit a couple left-handed yesterday in practice, but chances are, he will swing righty only against the Terriers.

Greeley Stays on Second

Captain Russ Johnson will open at first, while Walt Greeley, the regular second baseman, will stay at his own position. When Krinsky left the Amherst game, Greeley shifted over to short, and McInnis planned to start him there against Brandeis. Krinsky will play short.

Tim Wise, who impressed McInnis with his two-run single and alert play in the field, will hold down third.

Don Butters and Bob Gremp, both of whom singled in their first varsity game, will start in the outfield, Gremp in left, and Butters in right.

Last year, the Crimson made one of its top showings when it held a Harry Agannis sparked B.U. to a 6 to 6 tie. Agannis is now playing pro ball, but reports from the Terriers' Nickerson Field say that B.U. again has a strong team.