Underdog Crimson Nine Faces Springfield Today

By David L. Halbrstam

The Varsity baseball team, rained out and snowed out, will try again at 3 p.m. today at Soldiers Field. The opposition is Springfield, and chances are that even if the Crimson gets by the weather, it will be stopped by the tough Gymnasts.

The Marron, which also makes an annual football appearance, comes into Cambridge with a veteran team and a decisive 7 to 4 victory over a strong Yale team. Both the Yalies and the Gymnasts went South. The Crimson didn't.

Last year, Coach Stuffy MeInnis took his team to Springfield, but an early version of the current New England weather forced cancellation of the game Springfield lost only three games last season.

Sophomore Andy Ward, slated to pitch against Brandeia on Tuesday and B.U. on Thursday, will start today. Ward was the best hurler of last year's freshman team. Another sophomore, Bill Chauncey, will also draw his first starting assignment.

Chauncey will replace the injured Bob Smith in centerfield and bat in the leadoff spot. A left-hander, chauncey got into the opener with Amherst late in the game.

Dick Clasby will do the catching for McInnis, and captain Russ Johnson will play first. Walter Greeley will start at second, and Ed Krinsky, recovered from a had leg, will open at short.

The Wise, greatly improved in both the field and at but, starts at third again. Wise turned in a good workout yesterday as the team took advantage of the good weather to take a long practice.

Don butters and Bob Gremp will start in the outfield. Butters in right, and Gremp in left. Both got hits against Amherst, in the Crimson's only game, and McInnis credited Gremp with playing "a good left field."

Lefty Hank Tominaga will probably start for the visitors. Tominaga was the team's leader in innings pitched last season, and has had a week's rest since his victory over Yale.

Big hitters for Springfield are veterans Sherm Kinney and Wally Sunderland. Both outfielders, Kinney amassed a 298 batting average last season, while Sunderland, with fewer times at bats, hit a sizzling 399.