Bowie Will Direct Top Policy Group

Robert R. Bowic, professor of Law, will head the State Department's top policy planning board, it was learned yesterday. Contacted last night, he refused to make an official comment on his new position.

As policy planning director, Bowie will have a key post in formulating foreign policy for the Eisenhower administration. The planning board, set up by former Secretary of State George C. Marshall, is composed of experts on various areas of the world.

Bowie has been granted a leave of absence for one year, Associate Dean David F. Cavers disclosed last night. He teaches both a course and a seminar in Government Regulation of Business at the Law School. Cavers stated that no official decision had been reached as to who would replace Bowie.

Assistant to Clay

The economy expert served as special assistant to General Lucius D. Clay during 1945 and 1946, and became adviser to German High Commissioner John J. McCloy in '50 and '51.

Bowie has been co-director with Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government, of the Project on European Federation for the past year. The program was set up to utilize Harvard scholars in preparing proposals for a European Constitution.

At Strasburg Conference

Both Bowie and Friedrich attended the Strasbourg conferences and meetings of the Ad Hoc Assembly in Europe as consultants on the European Constitution.

While serving as counsel to the High Commissioner for Germany, Bowie became consultant in the drafting of the Schumann Coal and Steel Community Treaty.

Bowie received his law degree magna cum laude in 1934, served as Editor of the Law Review, and became a full professor in 1946.