Med School Applications Decrease for Third Year

Applications to the Medical School have decreased for the third straight year, the Admissions Office announced yesterday.

This year, 1,330 students have applied to the Med School, a drop from last year's 1,445. In 1950-51 there were 1,624 applicants.

Med School officials said that the main reason for the drop is a decrease in the number of students graduating from colleges in the past three years.

Many Apply from College

This is attributed to the population drop during the depression. It is thus expected that applications will increase in '57 or '58.

There are 165 students from the College who applied to the Med School this year. Forty-one of these plan to enter the School next year, although a few more were accepted. The first year Med School class will remain at 114 students next year. The large percentage of College graduates in the class is considered "normal."

The decrease in applications to the Med School reflects a similar drop at other schools. John M. Stalnaker, director of studies for the Association of American Medical Colleges, has reported that 13,613 students have applied for admission to the nation's medical schools this year.

This is 3,150 fewer than applied last year and 7,600 fewer than in 1950-51. Of the 16,763 students who applied last year, 7,778 were accepted.