Posting Examinations

In a room on the first level of Lamont is a collection of past examinations containing, many hope, a clue to future questions. Anxious students scan these paper-bound volumes looking for some trend or favorite topic on which they can wager the tag-end of their study time. Even those who enter examinations well prepared find solace in studying professors' past performances.

But so many people leaf through these books that by the end of reading period they are quite dog-cared, with many sections either missing or mutilated beyond recognition. Added to normal handling damage is the rudeness of the minority who rip out exams for further study. Since the library receives only a limited number of copies, it cannot replenish the stock. So, near the end of reading period, it is almost impossible to find examinations in popular courses.

The only practical way to assure a constant supply of examinations is to put them beyond the reach of all hands, both grubby and rapacious. The glass enclosed show cases are just right. They would permit several students to examine a single exam at the same time, and would keep at least one copy safe right to the end.

Enough space is probably available--using both the first and third level--to accommodate all the examinations. But even if some cases are already reserved, and there is not enough room for all, Lamont should go ahead with the plan. Starting with the largest courses, the library could keep posting the exams until it runs out of space. This would mean a good deal less handling of the paper volumes, and hence a greater probability that they would survive the biannual crush of students. And if only those courses with enrollments of over a hundred could win a place on the board, fewer students would spend frantic hours searching for exams that have been either stolen or tattered beyond use.