Tennis Team Tops Bowdoin

The varsity tennis team smashed Bowdoin, 10 to 0, on the windy Soldiers Field courts yesterday.

The win marked the Crimson's second straight ahut-out. The team meets Brown on Friday and Army on Saturday.

Coach Jack Barnaby threw his fourth, fifth, and sixth doubles teams into action following straight set Crimson victories in the singles play. Only the second doubles match between the Crimson's Frank Goodman and Don Spencer and Bowdoin's Bill Clark and Bill Nieman went three sets. Goodman and Spencer finished strong to win, 3-6, 8-6, 6-0.

John Rauh's steady strokes and consistent net play were too much for Clark, Bowdoin's top player. Rauh used his deceptive Charlie Ufford controlled hard shots despite the wind to top Jerry Friedlander, 6-2, 6-1. Art French led all the way to beat Bill Nieman, 6-3, 7-5.

In the number four match, Gone Mann breezed through Charley Howard, 6-1, 6-1. Don Bossart used his usual soft, steady game to top Bowdoin's number five man Bruce Hinder, 6-0, 6-3.

Dave Watts took over for Alex Haegler in the sixth spot and trimmed John Wilson, 6-1, 6-0. Steve Sonnabond topped Ben Ford, 6-1, 6-4 at the seven spot.

Terry King and Herb Stone eased through Howard and Friedlander, 6-0, 6-4, in the first doubles.