Advice On Concentration

Few things are more time-wasting than an academic ceremony, even if it comes but once a year. Yet, many of they yearly concentration interviews between freshmen and departmental representatives are just that-an institutionalized way of getting a professor's autograph, perhaps, but otherwise a waste, of time for the both professor and student. Of course, some representatives are up on the course offerings in their department, and can offer valuable advice. A few even seek out freshmen in the elementary courses in their fields to offer guidance. But since almost every teacher in each department, is expected to pitch in at this advising chore, some advisors are bound to be insufficiently informed about courses to help in planing students' curricula.

The core of the trouble seems to be that all consultations take place within a few weeks. To handle all the freshmen, departments must send their full staffs into action; and often the meetings must be rushed to accommodate every student. Yet, there is no mysterious potion in the air of late April that makes it the best time for decisions on concentration. Many freshmen, in fact, know in September what their major will be. Practically all have a good idea by February. The interview period could easily start carrier, permitting Faculty men to hold longer conferences with students.

Once the rush hour atmosphere is gone from the sessions, there can be other improvements. Representatives can be briefed on unfamiliar courses in their departments. The more interested teachers might even have time to take over the chores of those who consider the consultations drudgery. Offering the first chance a freshman has to learn about his chosen field from men who know it best, the concentration interview has an important function. A few changes would help it to perform that function far more effectively.