Street Gang Ruthlessly Beats, Knifes Graduate

By George S. Abrams

A recent College graduate was brutally beaten and slashed on Boylston St. last night by a and of marauding Cambridge teen-agers, while his companion, Frederick M. Faweett '53, escaped with minor bruises and lacerations.

Richmond Bachelder '50 was rushed to Stillman Infirmary early this morning after emergency treatment at the Cambridge City Hospital. In addition to contusions of the head, mouth, and neck and a cerebral concussion, Bachelder had a knife would running from above his right eye through his ear and into the back of his neck.

Culprits still At Large

Cambridge police last night were searching the Harvard Square area in an effort to find other members of the 12 man gang which made the attack. Several suspects had been picked up by 1:30 this morning, but Fawcett was unable to identify any of those brought before him.

Fawcett, with an ear slash and a badly bruised face, was able to walk under his own power and was not held for observation at the hospital.

"We were walking past the Harvard's Square Garage around 10:45, in tuxedos, when someone asked 'Where you headed?" Fawcett said last night. "Suddenly, about 12 guys jumped us. I felt something strike me in the side of my head. I broke clear of several arms into the street and then I heard someone Yellow 'The copes.' They all ran off.

"I saw Bach lying in a pool of blood on the sidewalk. I thought they were coming back, so I picked him up and carried him over to the ice house on Mount Auburn St.," Fawcett continued.

"I was going to call the police, but a patrol car came then, and we rushed to the hospital. The police later came in with several people they thought were involved, but I can't identify anyone. It all happened too fast."

Stillman officials said early this morning that Bachelder was being treated as "an emergency case." They would not release any further information concerning his condition.

Bachelder has been working in Boston since his graduation from College in 1950.