Tennis Team Defeats Army As All Singles Players Win

The varsity tennis team smothered underdog Army 14 to 1 on Saturday for its eighth straight win, then took off for its first real test in eight matches at Williams-town today. Jack Barnaby's squad meets the powerful Ephmen at 3 p.m.

Corey Wynn's Yardling squad dropped its first decision against scheduled competition last Saturday to visiting Exeter, 6 to 3.

The Williams match today is rated a tossup. Long-time squash and tennis star Dick-Squires leads a depth-laden Ephman squad. Behind him are several outstanding sophomores, who may give the team a depth which may equal the Crimson's.

Perenially optimistic Barnaby was non-committal on the chances for the team's ninth straight victory. "We'll have to dish it out as well as take it for a change," be admitted.

The Crimson's Johnny Rauh, who went down to defeat against Brown's Doe Houck on Friday, and then pulled a brilliant comeback to top West Point's George Sanders Saturday, will meet Squires.

Against Army, Rauh was down six love in the first set and trailing in the second before he found his usual steadiness. He finally topped Sanders, 0-6, 7-5, 8-6.

Captain Charley Ufford and Art French who polished off their service team opponents in straight sets will go at two and three positions today.

Gene Mann, who provided the top match on Saturday with an 8-6, 9-11, 6-2 victory off Cliff Worthy of Army is at four against Williams. Don Bossart and Alex Heagler round out the top six.