Meeting of Divinity Leaders Brings Schulman Retraction

By William W. Bartley iii

J. Frank Schulman 2Dv, president of the Divinity School Student Association, last night retracted statements he made on Monday calling the editor of the Scribe "incompetent."

Yesterday afternoon Divinity students brought Schulman and John M. Coffee 2Dv together to discuss their differences. Coffee is leader of a group which demanded a protest meeting on constitutional and religious emphasis questions last Friday.

Schulman said, "Mr. Coffee and I each found that we were fighting things the other did not stand for. The differences were largely ones of misunderstanding."

Still Some Disagreements

"We still disagree on several points," Schulman added. "There is, however, no longer any hard feeling."

Schulman said he was mistaken in calling Dudley W. Wiegand 2Dv, editor and founder of the Scribe, incompetent. He said his main interest was spreading out the paper's responsibilities and bringing more students onto the staff. He explained he had asked Wiegand to serve as an "associate editor," meaning an equal with several others. But Wiegand apparently interpreted "associate" as "subordinate." "My statements stem largely from this misunderstanding," he said.

Schulman called Wiegand "an invaluable contribution to the life of the Student Association."

Schulman now plans to continue the Scribe next year with a board of three editors. Wiegand will be asked to remain as one of them. "This is Schulman's plan," Coffee, a Yale graduate, explained. "But the student association may decide otherwise."

Schulman stated that the "peace talks" have led to partial agreement on the so-called "piety controversy." He said he will not attempt to open meetings with prayers without the vote of the Association.