Gardner, Dane, Pond Lead Crimson Skiers in Win Against Eli, Tiger

Crimson skiers, capturing three of the first five places, won the annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton invitational slalom Saturday at Mount Washington, N.H. In winning, the team regained the cup captured last year by Yale.

Slalom star Harry Gardner took first place for the Crimson, winding through 25 gates in 94.8 seconds, while teammate Ebbe Dane arrived second with a 106.2 timing. Brookes Kelley of Yale and Steve Winston of Princeton finished third and fourth respectively.

In the day's biggest individual surprise performance, Arly Pond, skiing for the Crimson the first time this season, captured fifth position in the 13-man field with a 117.6 clocking.

Harvard plied up 97.4 percentage points, followed by Princeton and Yale with 80.1 and 62.5 points respectively. Scoring is tabulated by comparing the average team times with the average time of the first four finishers.

The Crimson's three other entrants, Fred Churchill, freshman captain Jackie Vohr, and Eric Heineman placed seventh, ninth, and tenth.

The Elis placed only one of their three entrants in the top ten, and will give back the triangular meet trophy.

The Harvard-Yale-Princeton slalom is the team's final intercollegiate competition this year.

The meet climaxed an up-and-down season for the Crimson team, which at one time gained Senior Division status, only to lose it again a week later.