McInnis Hits Rain as Season Opens

Lining 'Em Up: Baseball; Indoor Look at an Outdoor Sport

By David L. Halderstam

Briggs Cage is a large, glass covered building, dedicated to competitive sports and R.O.T.C. drill; it in no way resembles a baseball field. So, with all the time he wanted inside and only five cumulative outdoor practice hours, John P. McInnis, one time major league star, now Harvard baseball coach is still justifiably pessimistic about his team's chances this Saturday in its opener against Amherst, and for the rest of the early season.

"You've seen how the weather's been," he says. "We just can't not outdoors. And we've got a tough schedule, 22 games, and most of those teams, including Amherst spent the spring vacation in the South." Harvard spent the spring vacation in Briggs Cage.

McInnis has almost the same pitching staff he had last season. Bob Ward, fast balling right hander, should be the ace of the group. If Ward has his control, the Crimson will be tough to beat. Andy (No relation) Ward should also start. Top pitcher on last year's freshman squad, Ward may add right handed depth. But McInnis doesn't know, he's barely seen sophomore Ward outdoors. Pat Groper could also help. Last season he showed good control, pitching a fine game against Tufts. John Arnold, another veteran righthander and John Cooke give McInnis more depth. Another southpaw, sophomore Bill Chauncey, may be called in from the outfield to help.

Despite the graduation of captain Charley Walsh, McInnis has no catching worries. Last year's second string backstop, Dick Clasby, has the nod there, with sophomore Don Butters also highly touted. Butters brought a fine reputation with him from Natick High, but was on probation all last year.

And George MacDonald, last year's freshman captain, will also play. McInnis is high on MacDonald; "if a lefty is pitching against us, I may use Clasby and Butters in the outfield, and MacDonald behind the plate," he says.

Captain Russ Johnson solves the first base problem. He hit well last season, and McInnis is depending on his bat to spark what he fears may be essentially a weak hitting team.

"A flip of the coln may decide the second base problem," according to McInnis. He has five men there, "all equally good." Veterans John Canepa, Wait Greeley, Paul Crowley, and sophomore Frank Nahigian are all after the job. Canepa played there last season with Crowley, while hockey captain Greeley alternated at shortstop.

Basketball captain-elect Ed Krinsky seems to have the shortstop job clinched. Krinsky fielded better than he hit last season, and McInnis is thinking of using transfer student Nestore D'Angelo there for depth. Paul Murphy, one of the best all around players on last year's freshman team, is on probation.

Last season Tim Wise and Ray Macsaka alternated at third base. This season Maesaka is staying indoors with his chemistry labs, so Wise will play there regularly.

Right now McInnis is planning to use two different outfields, one for a right hander and another for lefties. Against a righty, Chauncey, Bob Smith, and either Butters or Clasby will start. Smith was one of the strongest hitters on the last varsity, while McInnis is anxious to try the strong-armed Butters in right. Clasby, Butters, and Bob Gremp will start against lefty pitching, with Gremp also slated for substitute work at first base.

It could be a strong lineup, but McInnis isn't talking. He just doesn't know what to say; he hasn't been outdoors.