Nine to Face Quakers, Princeton on Road Trip

First place in the Eastern intercollegiate League will be at stake today when the varsity baseball team faces Penn on River Field at 3:30 p.m. Both teams have a two-win no-loss record in league competition to tie for the circuit lead.

Saturday, the varsity moves to Nassau for a league game with Princeton.

The varsity will be at full strength for the Penn game, but only by special effort. Second baseman Walt Greeley and substitute catcher Chuck Wade have arranged to take their general exams early this morning, and will leave by plane for Philadelphia at 11 a.m. for the game.

Two players, Paul Crowley and Buz Vonderlage, will remain here because of exams. The only other squad member who will not accompany the team is Bob Smith, regular centerfielder last season, still out with a leg injury. Smith is expected back in uniform late next week.

Earle Groper will probably start against Penn. No Quaker starter has been named yet. Andy Ward is scheduled to open against the Tigers. Princeton coach Earl Donovan has named Dick Emery as his starter against the Crimson.

Penn finished in the league's southern division cellar last season with a 1-7 record; the Crimson was last in the northern division with a 2-6 mark.

Jayvees Win

Behind the pitching of John Semmelmeyer, the Jayvee baseball team beat the B.U. freshmen, 6 to 4, yesterday afternoon. The win gives the Jayvees a 3 win-1 loss record for the season.

Semmelmeyer pitched a no-hitter through the sixth inning, and left the mound with a 4 to 0 lead after giving up one hit and two bases on balls in the seventh. A Jayvee error on B.U.'s single off relief pitcher Steve Szaraz then gave the Pups three of their runs.

Two more runs in the seventh gave the Crimson a comfortable lead, which was only threatened in the ninth. With one out in the last inning, a single, a base on balls, and an error on a fielder's choice, loaded the bases for B.U. Szaraz walked in one run. Then a pop-up to center and a ground out punctured the Terriers' balloon.