Wallace, Dever to Appraise Liberalism at Law Forum

Liberalism one of the most nebulous terms in the modern political vocabulary will be reappraised from three widely different viewpoints at tonight's Law School Forum.

The panel, which is composed of Henry A. Wallace, former Vice-President of the United States, Paul A. Dever, former Democratic Governor of Massachusetts, and Robert Braucher, professor of Law and an active Republican, will speak on "Liberalism Reappraised" at 8 p.m. in Rindge Tech Auditorium.

Samuel Beer, professor of Government, will serve as moderator.

Wallace, who has made known in advance that he intends to offer a three point program of liberal statesmanship, was Roosevelt's Vice President from 1940 to 1944. In 1948 he founded and was the presidential candidate for the Progressive Party. He split with the Progressives in 1950 over the issue of intervention in Korea.

Former Now Republic Editor

Before becoming Vice-President, Wallace served as Secretary of Agriculture in Roosevelt's cabinets from 1933 to 1940. He was Secretary of Commerce from 1945 to 1946. After his retirement from the cabinet he was editor of the New Republic for a time.

Dever served as Governor of Massachusetts from 1949 through 1952, losing the gubernatorial race last year to Christian Herter. He was Attorney General for the state from 1928 through 1934.

Last summer Dever gave the keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention.

Braucher was an active Eisenhower supporter in the 1952 campaign. He served as a fighter-pilot and intelligence officer in World War II from which he returned to the Law School to teach Commercial Law, Government Procurement and Accounting.