'Cliffe Dormitory Presidents Ban Shorts in Quadrangle

Sex was put in its place last night by the presidents of the Radcliffe dormitories. Its place, they decided, is not the Radcliffe Quad.

From now on, only actively-participating female athletes may wear "shorts, or short-shorts" on the ground floors of dormitories or in the Quad itself.

The Board of Hall Presidents extended its anti-flesh campaign all the way to the ground. From now on, feet, too, must be covered, if the owner is standing below the second floor of a dormitory.

Although the Board will allow exam-bound Radcliffe girls to wear blue jeans, a long coat (length unspecified) must veil such trousers at all times off the Quad bounds. The "long coat" ukase extends to cover so-called Bermuda, or long shorts, too.

Storm of Protests

"It is felt that these regulations are as important as sign in or out rules, and should be followed with an equal amount of cooperation by the student body," the statement from the Board of Hall Presidents said.

Many Radcliffe girls were strongly opposed to the Board's ruling yesterday.

"They treat us like babies," one sophomore exclaimed. "Why can't we wear comfortable clothes in hot weather?"

"What about sun-bathing?" a tanned senior queried.

Several students wondered if girls engaged in co-educational sports endeavors would have to wear skirts.

"It's pretty tough to play softball that way," said one Briggs Hall resident, "even if you are playing with boys."