New State Bill Would Suspend Indicted Reds

Proposal Would Force Firing of Teachers Found 'Subversive'

A new anti-Communist bill in the state legislature would compel colleges to automatically suspend any teacher indicted on a charge of subversion. The Legislative Committee on Education proposed the law yesterday.

Under the provisions of the bill, if a conviction resulted from the indictment, the school or college would be forced to dismiss the convicted teacher.

The University's current policy is to judge each case on its own merits before dismissal, but conviction for a felony is considered sufficient cause for firing.

If the teacher were brought to trial on the indictment within nine months, or if the teacher were acquitted or won a reversal of conviction in higher court, the bill stipulates that the school or college "may reinstate the teacher."

The committee added teeth to the measure by threatening officers of offending institutions with fines up to $1,000 or jail up to three weeks.

Replacement for Stronger Bill

The bill was drafted by the committee as a replacement for a much stronger measure originally filed by Rep. Paul A. McCarthy (D-Somerville). McCarthy's bill called for the immediate revocation of the charter of any school which refused to expel a Communist from its teaching staff.