Dunster House Wins Straus Trophy

Dunster House won the Straus Trophy for the first time in the award's 16 year history, final intramural figures released last night showed.

The Funsters opened up on Eliot in the spring seasons, finally edging the defending champion Elephants, 1,585 to 1,548. Dunster held a 982 1/2 to 977 advantage at the end of the winter season.

Kirkland, which was second last year, was a solid third, ending the year with 1,414 points, 163 more than fourth place Adams' 1,251. Adams climbed out of last year's cellar. Winthrop finished fifth, with 1,203, while Leverett fropped to sixth with 1,151 points. Dudley finished seventh with 1,088, 16 more than last place Lowell.

A huge beer bust--with Master Gordon M. Fair and the tutorial staff pouring--will be held tonight as Dunster celebrates.

A first place in the House track meet as well as a strong showing helped Dunster in the spring. The runners, led by sprinter Ted Johnson, Larry Boies, and Bob Walser were for ahead of all others.

But probably a key to the Funster success was its record of no forfeits, a tribute to House athletic secretary Ed Cohen and his assistants, Jim Wade, Roger Requardt, and Bob Walser. Cohen, House football captain for the past three seasons, was awarded the cup for Dunster intramural athlete of the year, earlier this spring.

The golf team also took a league championship, but lost to its Yale College opposition over the weekend. Joe Oakley, Dave Cook, Ken Brown, Jim Hodder, Bud Parsons, and Cohen played for the Funsters. The Dunster tennis team, led by Paul Trinchieri, Bob Crouch, Jeff Ball, and Dave Gerstein finished second.

The Funster baseball team finished a strong third in the league. Led by former freshman captain Ron Peyton, who not only starred at bat, but pitched, the team included Tony Van Wye at first base, Cook at second, Bob Goldman at short, Mike Porder at third, George Buheler, catching, and Stove Lowey, Bill Dennis and Ted Rose in the outfield.

Its softball team finished second. The Funster team was Herb Berger at first, Gerstein, second, Requardt short, Daryl Hawkins third, Marty Doctoroff catching, Ted Johnson, Bob Walser and Wade in the outfield, and either Otis "Ki" Dewan or Denn Spencer pitching.

Dunster's first boat took fifth in the crew, but a surprise third place finish by the second boat, and a strong showing in the sculling gave it good rowing advantage. Dirk Post took the wherry class, and Ken Culbert finished a close second in the singles sculling. The first boat, was stroked by Bruce Morgan.

Dunster finished third in football, and first in touch football and second in soccer in the fall sports. Cohen, Ball, Jack Brophy, Herb Hoffman, Andy Ichiki, Wade, Boies, Peyton, and Dave Cavers played tackle. The touch team included Johnson, Cook, Van Wye, Spencer, and Requardt.

Basketball was a strong Dunster sport; the "B" team lost only one game, while the "A" team finished second after a playoff. The "A" team was led by Brophy, Oakley, Marv Arthurs, Whitney, Peyton, and Dewan, while Van Wye, Spencer, Walser, Bill Aaron, Hal Collard, and Bud Ingoldsby played for the "B" team. The hockey team, led by Cook, Bill Looney, Hank Feldman, Boies, Pete Frye, Mike Halberstam, Wehtje, and Pat Conmy, made a strong post-vacation finish.