Decision on Furry May Come Today

Final Faculty Meeting Expected To Bring Corporation Disclosure

By George S. Abrams

The Corporation's long-awaited decision on Wendell H. Furry and other faculty members who balked before Congressional hearings will be revealed at today's meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, according to reliable information.

The agenda for the meeting, the Faculty's last of the year, does not include any direct statement that the Corporation's decision will be announced. Near the end of the schedule of subjects to be discussed, however, it is stated that Provost Buck will deliver a "brief message." This message is expected to concern the Corporation's final decision.

Two weeks ago the Corporation announced that "administrative procedure had been substantially completed" in the case of Furry and Leon J. Kamin, Teaching Fellow in Social Relations. At that time it was indicated that no decisions would be announced until final action had also been taken on the cases of Dr. Helen Dean Markham, assistant professor of Anatomy at the Medical School, and Dr. Daniel Fine, teaching Fellow in Medicine. It is believed that these cases have since been concluded.

Procedure

The Administrative procedure in arriving at a decision consisted of hearings of each of the four individuals, reports from the special faculty committee, and detailed examinations of the four faculty members' testimonies.

Furry, the only member on permanent tenure in the group, first testified last February before the House Un-American Activities Committee. At that time, be claimed the privilege of the Fifth Amendment as grounds for not answering any questions having to do with past or present Communist affiliations.

Agreement

On April 27, however, Furry returned to Washington and told the Committee he has not been a member of the Communist Party "at any time in the last two years." He refused to elaborate any further.

One of the committee members, Gordon Scheer (R-Ohio), accused Furry of returning only to keep an agreement with the Corporation. According to Scheer, Furry had to testify again in order to stay at the University.

"There is no such agreement," Furry answered.