Eli Strike Settled; Workers Get Small Increase, Benefits

All striking employees of Yale University had returned to their jobs yesterday after settlement late last week of their two week strike against the University.

The walkout of the 500-man union began May 7 as protest against Yale's refusal to grant their four point program for a ten cents an hour across-the-board wage hike, double time for Sundays, union shop, and limitation of student employment.

Final settlement modified the strikers' demands, giving them a 2 1/2 cent wage increase with an additional adjustment for skilled workers. The plea for a union shop was turned down.

The agreement between Yale and the Federation of University Employees stated that Yale does not presently plan to fire any union members for replacement by students.

No Disturbance Reported

Little disturbance was reported during the two-week walkout which involved power plant employees, the maintenance crew, and janitors and maids. Picketing was only partially effective, since delivery service employees refused to honor it. The only minor incident was the arrest of a picket for disturbing the peace as he tried to block deliveries to the power plant.

Both sides put their cases before the Yale community. The union ran a full-page ad in the "Yale Daily News" criticizing the "University's Bad Faith." This came in reply to an earlier statement by Eli officials outlining their stand in the matter.

The new contract will run until May 1, 1955, although it can be reopened next year for discussion of new wage demands. Its provisions include the scheduling of Sunday work with double time pay.