PROTECTING THE TIMOROUS

The Mail

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I question the CRIMSON'S choice of words in labeling today's unsigned letter a "Challenge to Dorgan." A challenge, to be in effect, requires two parties. I doubt whether even Mr. Dorgan, a man whose ability to improvise enemies is unquestioned, can make much of a contest with today's nonentity.

Perhaps the author of the challenge feared recrimination from Mr. Dorgan. Since it has been CRIMSON policy to protect its correspondents from recrimination, the author might be excused for not signing his name. I suggest, however, that a man who submits to the fear of recrimination is in no position to recommend action. Unsigned words, to my mind, have little effect. I wonder what might have been the course of history had the names been withhold by request from the Declaration of Independence.

The author calls for a show of stamina to drive the politicians away from the academic scene. He asks, "Why should we in the North not show the backbone of the teachers in California who refused to take the oath?" It seems ironic somehow for a man who calls for a showing of backbones to show so blatantly his own backside. The CRIMSON in its attempt to protect its letter writers from recrimination, has been deceived into protecting the timorous. --William Mitchell '52